Monday, July 16, 2012

Follicle Check #2

Today is CD9 and I headed in for my second follicle check earlier this morning. As soon as the ultrasound technician spotted the follicles in the right ovary, she said, "Boy, you're going to be here a lot this week."

In the right ovary, there are still four lead follicles ranging from 13.3 to 11 and about five <10. I am slightly concerned that the smaller follicles haven't caught up much and that the four leaders leveled off so much, but everything else looked pretty good. In the left, there are six <10.

When I got the call this afternoon, the nurse said that my estradiol looked pretty good and that we should continue with the same dosage of meds for now. Then she said the dreaded thing that I hadn't even considered: we should switch the injections from subcutaneous (subQ) to intramuscular (IM). Noooo! I didn't even realize that this was a possibility, but I immediately started freaking out.

Somewhere, the fertility gods were chuckling at my hubris in conquering my own injects and decided to stick it to me (quite literally) with this cruel twist of fate! IM injections, for those who may not know, have to be administered by someone else in the "upper outside quadrant" of the buttock. They also hurt like hell, leave bruises on me and burn like a mofo. Ugh.

I happened to be with my close cousin this afternoon when the call came in, and she is the doctor who delivered my IM Pregnyl trigger shots in the past. Luckily, she is off today and can do the first one and show C, but I am really not liking the idea of C doing them in the future. Oy.

And now I am going to count down the hours until my doom and freak out the whole way...

No comments:

Post a Comment