Sunday, July 22, 2012

Back from ER

I'm sitting here on my bed watching, of all possible movie choices, Knocked Up, and the ER is over.

We attended a block party yesterday, but left a little early to relax and get ready. I had been nervous on and off, but I was able to fall asleep last night and sleep pretty soundly. We both got up early this morning and were ready to go.

We were the only retrieval scheduled for this morning and our IVF nurse was extremely kind and helpful. Our pre-retrieval scan showed a "beautiful lining" and before long, I was whisked away to the back room for the ER. The anesthesiologist was also friendly and made it really comfortable despite my nerves. He was able to get an IV into my "good" vein in my right arm and I was all set to go.

They positioned me way back in the chair and I just looked up at the lights as the anesthesiologist said he was administering the sedation. I thought I would slowly fade out, but it was pretty instant. The next thing I knew, I was slowly waking up hearing the anesthesiologist talk about his daughter's appearance in the musical "Wicked." I could feel that the speculum was still in, so I was terrified for a moment that I had woken up too early. I made a slight noise and the anesthesiologist assured me that I was supposed to be awake and that we were all done. A few minutes later, they walked me into the recovery room and I stayed there for a while hooked up to an IV of fluids.

Surprisingly, I had some cramping while laying in the recovery room, but as soon as the nurses allowed me to sit up, the pain pretty much subsided and I am still feeling pretty good. It basically just feels like average period cramps.

Of the 13 follicles that were growing at last ultrasound, they were able to retrieve 7. The embryologist will call tomorrow with a fertilization report for our lucky 7. Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment