Friday, September 7, 2012

Charmed

As I have mentioned on many occasions, I am an active poster on the Infertility and Infertility Veterans boards on the Bump. I honestly don't know how I would have managed this whole journey without the experience, expertise and support of the ladies on these boards. In the past, there have been several exchanges in which active posters exchange addresses, then send Valentine cards, lucky socks, Halloween candies and the like to all the women in the pool.

A few weeks ago, a fellow IFVet suggested an exchange to create a Pandora-style charm bracelet. Though Pandora/Camilia/Troll charms can cost $20 - $50, there are several sites on the web with charms under $5. Each participant purchases her own bracelet, then chooses a charm of significance to the board and orders a bunch of them. Then she creates a card describing the meaning or significance of the charm and ships it off to  each of the other ladies in the exchange. In the end, each participant has a fully-loaded charm bracelet filled with the wishes and support of the board.

For my charm, I went through hundreds of designs and finally settled on a silvertone Celtic knot bead. I'm not usually overly sentimental, but this seemed to click for me. Despite the fact that we are all separated by geography, culture and time, we share this bond of supporting each other. My explanation that I sent and a picture of the bead itself are included below:





I really enjoyed choosing the charm, but I am really looking forward to creating a bracelet loaded with so much sentiment and support. When dealing with IF, you really need several different kinds of support. Most of us are lucky enough to have the support of our partners and families, but the support of someone who really understands is rare. Even though our connection is purely web-based, the boards have provided that support time and time again and I really look forward to wearing a symbol of that connection on my wrist.

At this point, I have received several charms and I am waiting on a few more. As soon as the bracelet is complete, I will post a picture here.

No comments:

Post a Comment