Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Human Pincushion

I am so so so so so so pleased and grateful to finally be pregnant, but, boy, am I tired of being stabbed.

I just had to order a new sharps container to replace the overflowing one we have already filled with dozens of Menopur and Bravelle syringes, a handful of Lupron, a few triggers and mountains of PIO. That, of course, is in addition to the dozens and dozens of blood draws I have had in the past two plus years of treatment.

My "good" vein on my left arm has actually collapsed three times from overdrawing, and today was yet another troublesome situation.

Fortunately, I have two free periods in a row this year, so on Monday and today I have ducked out (with permission, of course) to go to the local lab for blood draws. Monday was very smooth, but my vein has had a pretty easy few weeks. Besides beta #1 on Saturday, it hadn't been hit since three days after transfer back in August.

Today, however, was a whole different story. I showed up nearly a half-hour early for my appointment hoping to be squeezed in and there wasn't anyone there, so I got right in. The technician stuck me in the good vein - no blood. She fished around for more than five minutes (I know because I was looking at the clock), then gave up and tried my right arm. Dread began setting in because this scenario has happened to me before...

She tried the right arm - no blood, even with even more fishing around. Now I am retracing whether or not I drank enough fluids before coming in. I had a bottle of juice, but no water in my rush to leave. Here we go again.

I guzzled a few cups of water under her direction and sat there while two other patients were drawn with the greatest of ease. She came back to me and tried the left arm again. Apparently the fact that the stick spot is bleeding and reacting to the tourniquet is a good sign. More sticking, more fishing - no blood.

I am watching the clock tick away and I need to be back to work in twenty minutes. Another technician comes in for her shift and it is the same technician from Monday. As a last ditch effort, my technician asks the new shift technician to try my arm. She pokes, prods, flicks and preps the vein much more thoroughly than the other technician and ties the tourniquet much tighter.

And finally, after four stabs, more than ten minutes of fishing and nearly 45 minutes in the chair, she is successful.

~~~
 
Today's beta was a little different from Monday's. First of all, they remembered to check the "stat" box so that hopefully the results will be in by the end of the day instead of some time late tomorrow afternoon, so that is a huge relief. Also, they drew an additional vial for a test that wasn't ordered on Monday. I can't remember the name of the test, and I wish I could so I could google it. Hopefully, it's a sign of progress.
 
I am also hoping that my next post will be later today instead of tomorrow. And I am really hoping that this number is above 2000...

No comments:

Post a Comment