Sunday, September 16, 2012

Ultrasound #1 is in the books!

After my arduous blood draw on Wednesday, the pregnancy nurse called me back with the 2933 beta and told me that I should come into the office on Friday for beta #4. This was because she wanted an ultrasound in addition to the blood draw.

I made the appointment for late Friday afternoon and luckily for me, C was off from work. Earlier that morning, I made the mistake of drinking orange juice with breakfast. I might as well have consumed battery acid because I had horrific heartburn, indigestion and nausea for the rest of the day. Either way, I got another teacher to kindly cover my class during the afternoon's wiffleball tournament festivities and headed off to check on our little bean.

We had a blood draw and ultrasound at 3:15, then we had an appointment to meet with the pregnancy nurse at 4. During the ultrasound, we were relieved to see that there was one sac and one yolk sac growing on goal with the 5w1d timing and that they were perfectly placed in the uterus. For some reason C was a tiny bit disappointed that there was only one little embie instead of twins, but I am happy to see anything healthy.

We will not receive the results for beta #4 until Monday when the pregnancy nurse does her callback, but the rest of the appointment was so great that I am not worrying about this number nearly as much as earlier in the week. The pregnancy nurse was super nice to us and had nothing but good news to share. She gave us a big packet of "dos and don'ts" for eating during pregnancy, then a whole bag of prenatal vitamin samples so I can see which ones my stomach tolerates best. (They are also free which is a nice perk.)

She said that everything looked great with our betas and ultrasound and that we were officially 5w1d on Friday and due on May 16, 2012. She also did a vaginal swab to determine how well the cells were absorbing progesterone and the cells were rated as "superior." All in all, it was a great appointment.

We have another beta and ultrasound scheduled for next Monday, September 24 and my next goal is to see a heartbeat. C and I are still trying to decide at what point we feel comfortable sharing the news with others. I would like to tell my mom fairly soon, and immediate family a little later, but friends and coworkers are probably going to have to wait until November when we are officially in the second trimester.

This is all just so exciting - I can't wait until the real preparations begin! I have planned for this for so long, it's hard to believe it is finally coming true!

No comments:

Post a Comment