Thursday, August 9, 2012

Oh, the difference a FET makes!

My CD3 baseline was this morning, thanks to my zippy AF after stopping progesterone and we are already on a roll for FET #1. Today my lining was a 10 and I was given instructions to begin Estrace.

Here's the protocol so far:

- start Estrace today, one orally and one vaginally
- on 8/14, two orally and one vaginally
- on 8/16, three orally and one vaginally
- back on 8/22 for blood work and ultrasound

Did you think anything about that was weird? Yeah, me too. I got a big ol' bottle of tiny Estrace tablets all mixed together, and yet I am going to be using some of them vaginally. Super weird.

Anyway, I was surprised by how easy this FET will be, both on me and on the wallet. When I spoke to the IVF nurse yesterday, she placed my order for meds and they were delivered today. The pharmacy was slightly concerned that they would have the progesterone suppositories in time for delivery. I thought for a moment that I might save them some effort by using the full bottle I still have in the fridge, but apparently the RE wants me on suppositories with the same dosage, but added vitamin E. Crud.

Of the six meds in my order, five of them were all under $10. That's right, under $10. What a difference from last time. The most expensive item was the progesterone injection oil, which was about $150. All together, it came in under $200, which was fantastic news to me. That PIO terrifies me, however.

For now, I am only taking the Estrace, but when PIO time comes, I am going to be one unhappy camper. It's an IM shot (and we all know how I feel about those) and it will be daily, possibly twice daily. Ugh.

Well, the sharps container is back out of the closet, meds are lined up on the dresser and we are a "go" for FET #1!

2 comments:

  1. I just read through your entire blog and wanted to say thank you for writing it. You are a great writer, which made it easy to read, but you have also put my thoughts and feelings into words that I couldn't. In fact, some of your posts were so spot on that I felt like you were in my head and life, right down to having a husband content to hang out in the basement for hours (on a giant sectional), while I hang out upstairs, bored. Anyway, I just wanted to comment and wish you (and me, lol) good luck as you move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post, Kara. It really means a lot to know that there are others out there who feel the same way. Despite its prevalence, infertility can be so isolating...

    ReplyDelete