Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Not really what I wanted to hear...

I had another OB appointment today and the news was fine, but a few realities are starting to set in.

First of all, the OB said that the baby is still high and my cervix is only 50% effaced. Many women are at 50% weeks before labor, so this isn't really a sign of anything. He ordered another ultrasound to determine the size of the baby, so we're still just waiting, but he doesn't want to let us go much beyond 40 weeks.

Here's the part I don't love: if I don't go into labor naturally in the next few days, it will all depend on the ultrasound. The OB says that if he measures over 9 pounds, which is highly likely, we will probably have an elective c-section. Yikes! I really just want a healthy baby, but I would prefer avoiding surgery if I can.

It's not so much that I had an idea of my birth, but I really did start to think we could do this naturally over the past few weeks. I also am really not looking forward to the recovery. We only have one bathroom and it's on the second floor. I am also really getting overwhelmed by all the instructions about nursing and it's not going to be any easier after surgery!

I know that millions of women, including almost all in my family, have been through c-sections and I'm exaggerating a bit. Maybe this is just my version of the pre-labor freak-out since I never really had the conventional kind. My policy so far has been no-worries-and-just-wing-it, so now I think I just need to mix this new information into that outlook and let go. It's really not up to me anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment