Monday, May 13, 2013

Good News, Unanswered Questions

Today was our last ultrasound for the 40w mark, though today is actually 39w4d. As I posted before, this scan was intended to make some last minute decisions about delivery. I knew that the ultrasound technician wouldn't be able to tell us much, but I thought that today's appointment would at least give me enough information to make some assumptions and mentally prepare myself for delivery.

I was pretty confident that he would be measuring well over nine pounds and thus fulfilling my OB's elective c-section rule. I didn't really want this outcome, but I very much expected it. My OB said, however, that we would still wait and hold out for a vaginal delivery if he was under nine. Family history and previous measurements definitely suggested that he would be big. Really big.

I still had a feeling, given the fact that my bump isn't that big, that he might not be quite as large as our family's previous generation (all 9 lbs, 12 oz and over). Well, of course, today was full of ambiguity. How much did he measure? "Around nine pounds." So, he's not too big, but he's not quite small enough either.

I'm still holding out some hope for a natural delivery and to go into labor soon. I know, however, that it really isn't in my control and I'm not going to fixate on details.

I have been having lots of irregular contractions today and several waves of nausea. I actually stayed home from work today because the nausea was really bad in the morning when I woke up and I was inexplicably exhausted. Throughout the day, I had everything from the same old painless but tight BHs up to rewlly tight and quite painful cramping contractions lower down in my abdomen. At a few points, I have had a bit of lower back soreness, too. I hope this is a sign that he's coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment