Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Home Stretch (or Not...)

Today was the one-week-post-IUI ultrasound, the purpose of which I still do not fully understand. 

After quite an adventure, I rolled into an empty office over 20 minutes late.  I arrived in the neighborhood of the RE's office on time only to find that the street had been blocked off by police cars for an apparent power outage.  The officer would not let me walk onto the street, much less drive.  I parked nearby and began a 20 minute process of trying to call someone, anyone, involved with Penn Medicine. 

On any day, it is difficult to get a hold of someone on the phones, but a power outage only intensified the frustration.  First, I was able to speak to a receptionist at their call center and she had no idea about any power outage, but she was unable to contact the office for me.  Finally, I got a hold of someone actually associated with the RE's office.  At that point, they had no idea about the street being blocked and had experienced nothing more than a few flickers, not a full-blown power outage.  At this point, I was already 20 minutes late, but they allowed me to come in for the ultrasound.

They did all their typical measurements and found a cyst in the right ovary.  Crap.  If this cycle doesn't work, which, let's be real, is almost a given, this cyst could elevate my hormone levels at my baseline for cycle #9 and force another break cycle, further delaying the next cycle. 

Like I have said before, I am basically just going through the motions with this study so that we can move on knowing that we tried absolutely everything possible for IUI.  I am not hopeful that this cycle or the next will work, but I would like to finish the study so we can move on and consider more options. 

This is the home stretch of the cycle - the last week of IUI #8, then just one more for the study.  I hope another forced break from this cyst will not delay the home stretch even more...

No comments:

Post a Comment